Introduction to the Library
Gaza University Library was established in 2006 along with the establishment of the university itself. It serves as a scholarly, cultural, and educational resource in both traditional and electronic formats. The library houses a collection of books, journals, references, brochures, and CDs, encompassing thousands of titles in both Arabic and English. Additionally, it provides electronic books that include full copies of scientific books and references in various fields of specialization offered by the university. These resources can be accessed and utilized by students and faculty members from any computer connected to the university's network. It is worth noting that the library's acquisition process is ongoing and subject to the available resources due to the imposed blockade on the Strip.
The library's contents are divided into books and references specific to the faculties and majors taught at the university, as well as diverse books covering various areas of human knowledge. This is done with the aim of serving the faculty and students both inside and outside the university campus. The library adopts an integrated library system in all its technical and administrative operations, utilizing a dedicated software program. This program includes cataloging, classification, and indexing of all library holdings. It also incorporates automated borrowing, online searching, and book reservations from outside the university campus, providing beneficiaries with a time-saving and efficient means of accessing information.
Recognizing the importance of scientific and technological advancements in the world of books and libraries, the university has been keen on subscribing to electronic databases. These databases allow users to benefit from a wealth of electronic books, journals, bulletins, theses, and magazines. Such subscriptions are made available within a policy set by the university administration and the library management to ensure information provision and facilitate access.
It is worth mentioning that Gaza University Library is a member of the Palestinian Libraries and Information Centers Association (PALICO). PALICO aims to keep up with technological developments in the information field and collaborates with local and international institutions to support and enhance information services.
The primary mission of the library is to support the educational process and scientific research in order to achieve advanced and distinguished levels for its students and faculty. It aims to keep pace with scientific and technological advancements in all fields, particularly in curricula and university courses. This is achieved by developing its collections with various resources and providing electronic information sources in various fields of human knowledge. The goal is to meet the needs of the university community, including faculty, staff, and students.
The university also promotes mutual interaction between its library and other university libraries through the establishment of collaborative agreements. These agreements aim to facilitate the availability of a wide range of information sources to benefit the library users.
The library's collection consists of numerous books, journals, references, newsletters, and CDs in both Arabic and English languages. For reference books, three copies of each title are deposited, while non-reference books have six copies of each title. The library also ensures the availability of academic works by the university's faculty, either through purchases or donations. Subscriptions have been made to various electronic databases to provide access to a wealth of books, journals, newsletters, and university theses for users to benefit from.
Library services can be divided into two main sections:
First, Technical Services:
They include everything related to procedures and technical operations performed by library staff, including important tasks such as acquisitions, cataloging, classification, and electronic data entry through the dedicated library software.
Secondly: General Services
They include various services, the most important of which are:
- Beneficiary Services. These include the following items:
- Answering questions and inquiries from library users.
- Providing personal guidance to library users on how to use the library software and its relationship to organizing its contents for quicker and easier access to the desired books.
B. Loan Service This service includes the following items:
- Borrowing books that are allowed to be borrowed through the computerized systems (library software).
- Returning books within the specified return time and checking the condition of the books upon return.
- Settling any fines incurred due to late borrowing or late return of books.
The loan duration
No. of Books
The renewal period
Academics at the university
Administrators at the university
Academics and administrators from other universities under a mutual cooperation agreement
External collaborative participants (refundable insurance fees)
Late Return or Loss Fines:
- The value of late return fine is 0.5 Shekel per day of delay from the due date, and it increases with the number of days of delay. In case of repeated intentional delays by the user, the library has the right to withhold the user’s library card for a period determined by the library administration upon returning the books.
- In the event of loss of any borrowed library material, the user is given a two-week period to either replace the lost material or pay a financial fine equal to three times the price of the lost material.
- In the case of intentional damage to library materials or theft of books, the user’s library card is revoked, and the matter is referred to the academic vice president for review and determination of an appropriate penalty.
The external user is required to pay a refundable insurance fee of 20 Dinars and provide two passport-sized photos for the library card. In the event that the participant's library membership expires, the insurance amount will be refunded.
- The library administration grants termination to the user after returning the library card and ensuring that they do not have any library materials in their possession.
- In the case of a student graduating from the university or withdrawing their file, obtaining a termination document from the library administration is mandatory.
Reference materials and other specialized items are not available for loan. However, they can be used for reference purposes inside the library using a library card. If there is a necessary request from university professors, and upon the reference's request, it can be borrowed overnight, after the library's working hours, with the condition of returning it the following morning.
The library relies on a computerized system for all its technical and administrative operations, using a dedicated software for the university library. This integrated system provides various services, including guidance service, through the automated indexing available in the software. It enables users to access information resources quickly and with minimal effort, either with the assistance of library guidance staff or by using the system independently to search for the desired books.
- The copying service is considered one of the general services provided by the library.
- Users are allowed to copy any number of pages from books or journals.
- It is permitted to obtain an exact copy of the CDs available within the library, make a copy, and return the original.
- The user is required to pay a specific fee for copying or duplicating the CDs.
Policy for Building Office Supply Collections
The library relies on the Supply Department to enrich the library with its various types, ensuring that it is suitable and necessary for building the office supply collection while considering the following:
- Taking suggestions from faculty members to purchase office supplies specific to their educational programs and presenting them in the form of lists by the faculty deanship. These lists are then submitted to the library director to complete the necessary arrangements for their provision.
- Enriching the library through donations and exchanges of office supplies.
Secondly, Indexing and Classification (Technical Services):
Indexing and classification processes in the library are carried out based on the following:
- Adoption of the Dewey Decimal Classification Encyclopedia (4 parts) prepared by Mohamed Awad Al-Ayedi.
- Adoption of Arabic numerals in classification numbers, as well as the use of the first three letters of the author's surname.
- Adoption of the Arabic Treasure in cataloging library holdings, edited by Mahmoud Aitam.
- The library relies on barcoding to fulfill its tasks, with the barcode being consistently and systematically placed on the spine of the book.
The tools used in the Technical Services Department are:
- Dewey Decimal Classification plan.
- Arabic Treasure.
- Computer devices for data entry (automated indexing).
- Computer devices for automated searching.
- Barcode printer.
- Photocopy machine.
- Stamps necessary for all technical procedures.
- Files for preserving correspondences and purchase requests.
- Information resources are organized and arranged by placing them in their designated locations according to the Dewey Decimal Classification plan.
- In the case of new books arriving, they are announced on the university's website and also on the library notice board.
- Borrowers are not allowed to return books directly to the shelves; instead, they are requested to place them on reading tables.
- No book can be borrowed if it is reserved by one or more individuals. In such cases, priority is given to borrowing the book, and the reservation request is automatically canceled after two days if not claimed.
- New books cannot be borrowed by a user who has overdue books or books that need to be renewed until they visit the library and consult with the library director.
01. مكتبة جامعة أسيوط مصر
02. مكتبة جامعة الكويت
03. مكتبة الجامعة الموريتانيّة
04. مكتبة الكليّة الإسلاميّة للعلوم في الأردن
05. مكتبة معهد الكويت للاختصاصات الطبية
06. مكتبة الجامعة الإسلامية – فلسطين
07. مكتبة جامعة القدس المفتوحة – فلسطين
08. مكتبة الجامعة القطريّة
09. مكتبة جامعة عجمان
10. مكتبة جامعة الجزائر
11. مكتبة جامعة الأزهر – فلسطين
12. مكتبة جامعة بيزيت- فلسطين
13. مكتبة جامعة الأخوين في المغرب
14. مكتبة جامعة زايد الإمارات العربيّة المتّحدة
15. مكتبة الجامعة الأمريكيّة في دبي
16. مكتبة الجامعة الإسلامية بالمدينة
17. مكتبة جامعة فلسطين
18. مكتبة جامعة الاقصي – فلسطين
19. مكتبة جامعة النجاح - فلسطين
20. مكتبة جامعة المنصورة مصر
21. مكتبة جامعة أم القرى
22. مكتبة مدينة الملك عبد العزيز للعلوم والتقنية
تحرص مكتبة الجامعة على الاشتراك في قواعد البيانات الإلكترونية وإتاحتها للمستفيدين من المكتبة سواء بالاطلاع أو التحميل للكتب الإلكترونية أو المقالات بنصوصها الكاملة وذلك وفقاً لسياسة تضعها المكتبة .
قواعد بيانات الكترونية باشتراك:
User Name: WBA508
User Name: ag-pse004
User Name : WBA024
قواعد بيانات الكترونية مجانية:
Oxford English Dictionary
Institute of Physics
روابط لمصادر الكترونية مجانية:
1. اسم المكتبة: مكتبة موقع كتب
2. اسم المكتبة: دليل العرب الشامل
اللغة: العربية + E
النوع: كتب (حاسوب)
3. اسم المكتبة: مكتبة يوسف احمد الغانم
النوع: كتب (منوعة بجميع التخصصات)
4. اسم المكتبة :العربية 3000
5. اسم المكتبة: Tootshamy
النوع: كتب منوعة
6. اسم المكتبة: المكتبة العربية
النوع: كتب منوعة
7.اسم المكتبة: الموسوعة الشاملة
النوع: كتب دينية
8. اسم المكتبة: شبكة الأوائل
اللغة: العربية + E
النوع: كتب منوعة
9. اسم المكتبة: Free Online Books
الرابط : www.pspxworld.com
النوع: كتب متنوعة
10. اسم المكتبة: المكتبة الوقفية
الرابط : www.waqfeya.com
النوع: كتب دينية
General Instructions inside the library:
- Reading out loud is prohibited.
- Maintain order, silence, and adhere to the library's instructions and guidelines.
- The use of mobile communication devices (cell phones) is prohibited in the library. Users are requested to put their devices on silent mode to maintain a quiet environment.
- Eating and drinking are strictly prohibited inside the library.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited inside the library.
- Visitors are not allowed to bring their personal belongings and bags into the library hall. They should be placed in the designated lockers.
- The library is open from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
- All necessary guidance and reference materials are provided to library users, and their questions and inquiries are answered without discrimination to enhance performance and satisfaction.